The Master of Science in Financial Economics (MSFE) program launched in Fall 2021. The program emphasizes modern quantitative methods in financial economics and econometrics. Students are taught the theories that guide financial practices and the highly sought after analytical skills necessary to perform advanced financial analyses.
UW-Madison’s rich tradition in economics and econometrics (top 10 US News and World Report ranking) and finance puts it in a unique position to provide the rigorous training offered by this program.
The Master of Science in Financial Economics is a designated STEM degree program that will provide the theoretical knowledge, analytical skills and real-world experience to launch a successful career. As a joint program between the Wisconsin School of Business’ Finance Department and the Department of Economics, students have access to faculty and services in both areas — including access to the first-rate Finance Analytics Lab with specialized Bloomberg terminals.
The emphasis on data-driven, state-of-the-art quantitative methods differentiates our MSFE program from other Masters programs in finance or financial engineering.
Learn More About MSFE
All application materials for MSFE Fall Term Admission must be submitted no later than March 1, 2022.
We have dedicated staff to ensure student academic success. Our staff can advise students on academic requirements and course of study for the degree; course selection; and department and campus resources.
MSFE students are among an elite group with easy access to both the Economics Career Development Office and the Career Management Center at the Wisconsin School of Business.
“This is a unique program that combines the best of the Economics and Finance departments. It offers valuable experiential training and a curriculum which features courses offered by top-notch faculty developed from cutting-edge research. Dedicated personalized career services will provide students with excellent preparation for careers in leading financial services firms.”Stephen S. Roach (BA’68), Senior Fellow, Yale University, Past Chairman, Morgan Stanley Asia
MSFE At A Glance
- Joint program with unique access to Economics and Finance faculty
- Courses taught by distinguished faculty who are leading researchers/practitioners
- Rigorous coursework prepares students for careers in industry or advanced study
- Career Coaching/workshops and placement assistance from both the Wisconsin School of Business and the Department of Economics
- STEM degree program that can be completed in three or four semesters
- Coursework specifically tailored to MSFE degree program
- Access to large alumni base and networks from both Economics and Finance departments
- Small cohort with individualized attention
- 30 credit degree program with tuition of $2,500 per credit